Eat: Toddler Friendly Chicken Bites
Let’s face it, almost all children love chicken nuggets/tenders/bites.
The problem is that most of the store-bought types contain things I cannot pronounce and therefore, prefer not to buy. However, they ARE a great way to get protein into their diets and kids seem to go crazy for them.
After much trial and error, we have found a way to make them, as naturally as possible, and better yet, we feel good about kids eating them!
My favorite thing about this recipe though, is that they are prepared in such a way, so that even young toddlers that are new to solids and finger foods can chew them with ease. Using ground chicken instead of pieces of chicken, makes them a snap for children of any age to eat!
And you’re not going to believe how simple they are to make!
I suggest using a whole chicken breast that you boil yourself and then grind up, as opposed to buying chicken already ground. That way you know the quality of meat being used, when it was ground, and best of all – that it is already fully cooked!
* A cooked chicken breast (boil in water or stock for 20 minutes). We often add some flavor to the water with onion, garlic, and celery boiling away with the chicken. Save some onion and garlic to mash some up with the meat if you’d like.
* an egg
* Salt & Pep (Can add some other seasonings of choice, if your kids don’t mind!)
* Panko or other bread crumbs
* Optional: garlic powder, onion powder, parmesan cheese
1. In a food processor or blender, grind up the chicken with the egg, some S & P, and some other seasonings if you’d like.
2. Roll the mixture into small balls and press down to flatten. We love pressing them into fun and seasonal cookie cutters, but you certainly don’t have to!
3. Coat them with fine bread or panko crumbs. Leave the crumbs plain or season with onion and garlic powders and a little parmesan mixed in – delish!
4. Bake them on a cookie sheet that has been spritzed with a healthy cooking spray (olive oil, etc.) and then spritz the tops lightly as well for added crunch!
5. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 12 minutes (or until crispy on both sides), flipping halfway through.